Friday 27 July 2007

Re-match

My boss has been back from holiday this week, so I've had to re-learn the art of social interaction at work. Halfway through Monday morning, he looked up from the computer where he had been proofreading and exclaimed: 'This is all Mumbo Jumbo, isn't it?!'. And, not being an automotive engineer myself, I had to agree.
There's a children's game where you have to read a text, any text (e.g. the back of the cereal packet) out loud, replacing every noun with the word 'pants', all the while keeping a straight face. Occasionally terminology feels like that.

Today I went back to the Bad Obwarzanki Lady for a re-match. I smiled, greeted her, and ordered one apple and a small bottle of mineral water (this requires a different case ending. Very smooth). Before I got to the end she butted in with 'gazowananiegazowana?'. But by her tone of voice I could tell she was admitting defeat. I made sure to give the closest possible to the correct change, to indicate that I had understood (confusingly, the till in the kiosk displays three different figures, none of which are related to price. They may have some kind of cosmic significance that I am unaware of.). There was a certain amount of impatient tutting behind me, but I was too pleased with myself to pay very much attention.

Clothes are still a hot topic at the language school, proving revelatory in some cases ('At the weekend, Ben likes to wear a dress'). I can now describe from head to toe what I am wearing, including the colour plus one useful adjective from a list of six. I can also ask other people what they are wearing.
This skill will be invaluable if I ever decide to set up an X-rated chat line in Kraków.

And finally, I have discovered something I don't have to conjugate: the humble kiwi fruit. (in Polish: kiwi. Plural: kiwi).
I can like or dislike the kiwi, eat the kiwi or not eat the kiwi, live in a kiwi, give a present to the kiwi, go to the cinema with the kiwi and even take the kiwi for a walk.

If things don't work out with the Sacristan, the kiwi is going to become my new Best Friend.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is that kiwi pronounced in Polish the same as English or does it use the v sound?

I asked for a twix once on the train and he didn't know what I wanted

pinolona said...

no it's 'v', like 'kivi', but I usually forget.
I think Twix is the same but you have to conjugate it, for the same mad reason that you conjugate 'sms' and 'mail' I think i.e. 'proszę Tvix'a'. I *think*...